- Placement Location: Mandeville
- Requirements: Full qualifications as a teacher
- Accomodation: Host family
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start Dates: Flexible
On this voluntary teaching placement you will work with a community literacy project. You will help teach Jamaican adults to read and write.
Approximately 21% of adults in Jamaica are illiterate. This project teaches adults in small groups where they feel comfortable. Your knowledge and experience as a teacher will assist in this innovative projects development.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer teachers help in Jamaica?
You can use your knowledge and training to help local staff as a volunteer teacher. You can work on tasks such as:
- Assessing the quality of training material provided by local agencies and suggesting any improvements
- Working with existing staff to help improve their teaching methods.
- Working with a class of adults to improve their basic literacy skills.
- Providing advice on issues such as career choice, work etiquette and opportunities for further education.
- Teaching individual pupils in their own home.
- Organizing and running training clinics for Projects Abroad volunteers working with local schools (optional).
Most of your classes will involve groups of around 10-15 adults. Classes are organised in local communities to make them more accessible. A curriculum is provided and you will be expected to set homework and assess your pupils’ performance.
This project runs all year round so you can join at any time. You decide how much time you can spare and we will help you get the most out of it. However, please note that the project is closed in the last two weeks of December and the first week of January due to the holiday season.
What will I gain from this project?
You will gain experience in a new way of teaching adults. You will be able to get out of the classroom and teach outdoors or in people’s homes. You will also interact with fellow teachers and learn from each other’s experiences. You will also benefit from the "feel good factor" that comes from improving people’s lives.
Through educating adults in their own homes and communities you will learn about Jamaican culture and way of life. Staff and pupils will want to hear about your life back home and your family and friends. We call this "cultural exchange" and we think it helps our volunteers gain a new perspective on life.
What will Projects Abroad PRO provide?
We have over 25 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Jamaica is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with an Jamaican family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A member of staff to meet you at the airport when you arrive.
- Comprehensive medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
If you are a qualified teacher then you are perfectly suited to this project.
If you are interested in this project but don’t have the relevant experience, then please read about our standard Teaching projects in Jamaica.