- Placement Location: Lucre Valley, Cusco
- Requirements: Degree in Archaeology or Geology
- Accomodation: Shared house with volunteers and staff
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start Dates: Flexible
Professional and experts project can without any trouble communicating in English, to be able to read and write will be the participation conditions. Please note that there is no Japanese page of the for this page.
The regenerating effect of tourism is currently focused on a small section of Inca sites. In conjunction with COPESCO, we are working to spread this across a much larger area of Peru.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer archaeologists and geologists help in Peru?
You can use your knowledge and training to help local staff as a volunteer archaeologist or geologist. You can work on tasks such as:
- Joining a team of researchers compiling a report into the history and physical condition of new Inca settlements.
- Organizing fieldwork projects involving field walking, excavation, and mapping.
- Helping with training clinics for Projects Abroad volunteers working at other sites (optional).
- Working in other areas such as community development and awareness projects.
The work is performed in conjunction with COPESCO and the INC (Instituto Nacional y Cultural). This means that to a certain extent the exact work available depends on what the INC is focusing on during your trip.
Volunteers normally work 5 days per week and have their weekends free to spend in local towns. A standard week will be split into 2/3 days of fieldwork and 2/3 days of community projects.
The wet season in Peru is December to Mid-March. The amount of fieldwork available at this time is more limited so volunteers should plan accordingly.
The project runs all year round and we are flexible about dates. You decide how much time you can spare and we will help you get the most out of it.
What will I gain from this project?
This project will give you the chance to work in one of the most famous archaeological areas in the world. You will work alongside well-respected professionals who will want to share ideas with you. You will also get the chance to work in local communities, sharing your passion for archaeology.
You will spend time in local communities, learning about a new culture and way of life. Staff and local people will want to hear about your life back home and your family and friends. We call this "cultural exchange" and we think it helps our volunteers gain a new perspective on life.
What will Projects Abroad PRO provide?
We have over 25 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Peru is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with volunteers and staff in a shared house in the town of Huyro.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A member of staff to meet you at the airport when you arrive.
- Comprehensive medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
If you have completed at least a degree in Archaeology or Geology then you are perfectly suited to this project.
If you are interested in this project but don’t have the relevant experience, then please read about our standard Archaeology project in Peru.