- Placement Location: Lautoka and Nadi
- Requirements: Bachelor's Degree in Speech Therapy or a related subject
- Accomodation: Host family
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start Dates: During the school terms only
As a qualified speech therapist volunteering in Fiji, your skills will be used to assist teachers with children who require specialist support as a result of speech impairment.
Lautoka Special School and Nadi Centre for Special Education are schools that provide primary and vocational education to children between the ages of 6-18. They are in desperate need of Speech Therapists and other specialized professionals to support the development of the children.
Your role as a qualified speech therapist will be to volunteer in the classroom to help the children with speech and language.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer Speech Therapist help in Fiji?
Universities in Fiji do not offer programs for Speech Therapy. For this reason, Speech Therapists are highly valued by the educational centres we work with.
Your help as a professional speech therapist will benefit the children greatly. Your support in the classroom will also be of huge benefit to the teaching quality of the other staff.
You will work under the supervision of the Head Teacher, following the guidelines set out by the organization. You will work closely with the teachers as part of a team. You will also have to adapt to the school’s culture and environment.
You may also have the opportunity to train teachers and involve them directly in your work with the children. In addition, you may be asked to address the parents as well to teach them basic techniques that they can use with their children.
You will work from 18-35 hours a week - and sometimes out of hours - depending on the individual project and how you develop your role with your project supervisor.
Schools in Fiji have their main vacation during December and January, as well as a short break over Easter and three weeks in August. This project will be available during the school terms only. Please contact us to find out the exact term dates.
What will I gain from this project?
You will be involved with a friendly and highly dedicated team who are committed to the service they provide. Working with often limited resources and staff lacking technical knowledge and training, you will be able to adapt, and develop your existing expertise to a different working environment. You will often face challenges not experienced in your home country. Through this cultural exchange you will learn different methodologies and techniques in your own discipline.
You will also have the opportunity to develop skills and experience in a wide variety of areas. These could be (and are project dependent)
- Assessment of the needs of the project partner.
- Collaborating with the project partner to develop more efficient and effective systems in the workplace.
- Collaborate with the project partner to develop outreach programs in the local community and beyond.
- Use your expertise to train staff and other volunteers.
- Using your initiative and problem solving skills to develop, set up, and manage projects/programs.
- Monitor existing or new projects/programs.
- Develop and contribute to project evaluation reports to help with continuity between volunteers.
All of these can provide you with valuable experience and transferable skills useful for your career, and make valuable use of your existing expertise where it is needed.
What will Projects Abroad PRO provide?
We have over 25 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Fiji is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with a Fijian family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A friendly member of staff available to meet you on arrival at the airport.
- Comprehensive medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
If you have at least a degree in Speech Therapy or a related subject then you will be suited for this project.
Ideally, a qualified Speech Therapist would also possess at least two years’ experience of practicing professionally.
Specific specialisms or interests in your field will be highly desirable. Please discuss this with us on application.
Please contact us if you think your knowledge may be useful on this project but do not have the required qualifications.
※Fiji Teachers Registration Authority (FTRA) からの要請で、フィジーでの教育の海外ボランティア参加にあたって以下の書類提出が義務付けられています。中でも、英文犯罪経歴証明書、パスポート顔写真ページのコピー、フライト旅程は、少なくてもフィジー到着の3週間前までに提出する必要がありますのであらかじめご了承ください（提出が期日までに間に合わない場合は、あらかじめご相談ください）：