- Placement Location: Phnom Penh
- Requirements: Full qualifications as a dentist and have a relevant license to practice
- Accomodation: Shared house with fellow volunteers
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start Dates: Flexible
Professional and experts project can without any trouble communicating in English, to be able to read and write will be the participation conditions. Please note that there is no Japanese page of the for this page.
This volunteer dentistry project helps treat patients in a Government hospital and in a private dental clinic in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
Around 35% of Cambodia’s population lives below the poverty line, providing a huge strain on state medical facilities. Volunteers will have the chance to see both public and private sector healthcare systems and contribute to their development.
This project is perfect for anyone qualified considering volunteer work abroad or dentists on a career break.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer dentists help in Cambodia?
As a volunteer dentist you can use your knowledge and training to help local staff. You can work on tasks such as:
- Working with existing staff to treat patients, including:
- Educating patients on oral health care.
- Examining teeth and diagnosing patients' dental conditions.
- Assessing treatment options and agreeing treatment plans with patients.
- Maintaining patients’ dental records.
- Helping with medical outreach programs within nearby towns and villages.
- Working with staff to plan improvements to the clinic’s services.
- Observing and assessing the work of local trainee dentists.
This project is split between volunteering in a Government hospital and private dental clinic in Phnom Penh. You will also spend your afternoons working with our Care placement to conduct basic dental checks on children ages 3 to 6 and some members of the local community. How long you will spend doing this is dependent on you and your placement. You will be expected to work around 8 hours per day, Monday to Friday.
This project runs all year round so you can join at any time. You decide how much time you can spare and we will help you get the most out of it.
What will I gain from this project?
This voluntary work abroad will allow you to gain experience of dental practice in the developing world. You will be able to work alongside trained professionals and they will want to share ideas. You will also see techniques and diagnoses which may be unfamiliar to you. This is all part of working in a foreign country and can be a useful learning experience.
Through working with patients and local staff, you will learn about Cambodian culture and way of life. They will want to hear about your life back home and your family and friends. We call this "cultural exchange" and we think it helps our volunteers gain a new perspective on life.
What will Projects Abroad PRO provide?
We have over 25 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Cambodia is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation in a house with fellow volunteers close to your project.
- A local staff member to cook your meals.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- Airport transfers on arrival and departure.
- Comprehensive medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
You need to be fully qualified as a dentist and have a relevant license to practice in your country of residence.
Please contact us if you think your knowledge may be useful on this project but do not have the required qualifications.
A person who participated in the dental volunteer with Projects Abroad, If you are interested in the work of the dentist or dental hygienist in developing countries in, you can introduce the Cambodia of the dental clinic as employment destination after activities end. Please contact us for more information.